RiverAction Alert: Protect the Metolius! 4/2009
Please urge the House Land Use Committee and your representative to support HB 3100.
HB 3100, The Metolius Protection Act of 2009 hearing on Tuesday, April 7th. Please urge the House Land Use Committee and your representative to support HB 3100!
Please email ALL of the Oregon House Land Use Committee members AND your representative and express your support for protecting the treasures of the Metolius area. Currently, the final vote looks to be very close.
What: Public hearing on House Bill 3100 before the House Land Use Committee
When: Tuesday, April 7th, 3pm-5pm
Where: Hearing Room E, State Capitol (900 Court Street NE, Salem, Oregon 97301)
1. Contact the House Land Use Committee: [http://waterwatch.org/resources/house-land-use-committee-members]
2. Contact your representative: [http://www.leg.state.or.us/findlegsltr/]
3. Attend the public hearing on Tuesday
1. Please protect the Metolius through HB 3100 and the Land Conservation and Development Commission Area of Critical State Concern (ACSC) designation-plan as long as it doesn’t give more development rights than currently allowed under Oregon land use law.
2. This is the wrong place for a large-scale development. Impacts to the Metolius from large-scale development are unacceptable.
3. I support permanent protections in the Metolius Basin.
4. I value the Metolius because…
After holding public hearings in Central Oregon, the State’s Land Conservation and Development Commission (LCDC) voted to recommend Oregon Legislators pass a law designating a Metolius Area of Critical State Concern: [http://www.oregon.gov/LCD/metolius_river_basin_acsc.shtml]. HB 3100 would accept that recommendation and ensure that the management plan protects the Metolius River Basin from the threats of future development in and near the basin.
Two proposed large-scale destination resorts threaten the Metolius. One would create 450 single-family homes in the Basin (billed as an eco-resort) and the other would create 2,500 single-family homes and two golf courses near the Metolius Headwaters.
The Metolius is home to ESA listed bull trout, native redband trout, pure and very rare genetic reserves for native trout species, Chinook and sockeye salmon.
Contact House Land Use Comittee Members: [http://waterwatch.org/resources/house-land-use-committee-members]
Find your legislator: [http://www.leg.state.or.us/findlegsltr/]
Central Oregon Landwatch’s Metolius web page: [http://www.centraloregonlandwatch.org/projects/metolius]
Native Fish Society’s Metolius Protection: Myths & Truths [pdf]: [http://nativefishsociety.org/conservation/misc/documents/MythsTruths_022509_NFS.pdf]
Oregon DLCD Metolius River Basin ACSC web page: [http://www.oregon.gov/LCD/metolius_river_basin_acsc.shtml]