Communications and Outreach Coordinator – WaterWatch of Oregon
Water Watch of Oregon is seeking a full-time Communications and Outreach Coordinator. The successful applicant will be a champion for WaterWatch’s values and will be expected to tell WaterWatch’s story and the story of healthy rivers in a variety of communities and formats to build strategic demand for changed water policies and support for WaterWatch.
WaterWatch is a river conservation organization dedicated to protecting and restoring streamflows in Oregon’s rivers for fish, wildlife, and the people who depend on healthy rivers. WaterWatch advocates for sound water policies in Oregon. For over thirty years we have worked in the courts, state and federal agencies, the legislature and the media to ensure that enough water is left in our rivers to sustain the fish, wildlife, and people who depend on healthy rivers. WaterWatch has a budget approaching $1,000,000, a staff of eight, a board of fifteen and two offices: one in Portland and a satellite office in Ashland. The Communications and Outreach Coordinator would work out of the Portland office.
The position reports to the Development Director but will also coordinate, when necessary, with the Communications Director and Executive Director. This position would not be oriented toward the news media and/or be responsible for legislation or lobbying efforts but will be actively engaged with social media and many communities to build demand for policy reform and support for WaterWatch.
We recognize the value of diversity in the environmental movement and seek individuals who have a broad range of experience. We also seek individuals of diverse race or ethnicity, gender identity, and ability. People of color, LGBTQ persons, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Hours: 40 hours per week (occasional weekend/evening events or meetings and traveling)
Pay: Salary is DOE with attractive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, 401k retirement plan with employer contribution, liberal paid time off policy and sabbatical program.
Location: Portland, OR – WaterWatch Office (213 SW Ash St, Suite 208)
Duties / Responsibilities:
- Produce engaging materials, messaging and content in print and digital media to tell the WaterWatch story, celebrate current programs and promote campaigns, projects and events
- Expand organizational presence, engagement and support online through Facebook, Instagram and other social media platforms
- Adapt the WaterWatch brand and expand upon messaging with modernized application of the brand
- Expand and manage community engagement efforts with special focus on diversifying audiences, and relationship building
- Generate increasing demand for policy reform and cultivate support for WaterWatch through expanded outreach and engagement
- Strategically build support in geographic and programmatic areas of focus to reinforce and promote policy efforts, campaigns and projects
- Responsibility for website content and maintenance
- Create, update and expand outreach and fundraising materials across platforms
- Develop a marketing and outreach plan outlining goals and benchmarks and implement the plan once approved
- Plan and implement advertising communications as necessary
- Create info graphics and easily digestible materials to convey complex information
- Manage and create organizational gear, gifts, and promotional items
- Conduct market research, as necessary, for effective engagement
- Contribute to the messaging, planning and implementation of fundraising and outreach events
- Assist in newsletter production and distribution
- Assist with development projects
- Bachelors degree in business, marketing, media or communications
- Familiarity with and passion for Oregon’s rivers and WaterWatch’s mission
- Demonstrated ability to distill complex issues into easily communicated and compelling messages and stories in a variety of formats/platforms
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google platforms, a TBD website platform (HTML coding a plus), and Adobe Creative Suite (or comparable alternative)
- Experience with graphic design and website management
- Advanced knowledge of social media tools and strategies
- Self-motivated, confident, also takes direction well, willing to go the extra mile
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Detail oriented and efficient
- Sense of humor, outgoing personality, enthusiasm for outreach, fundraising and communications
- Ability to work efficiently as a part of a team in a small office
Please email resume and cover letter describing your experience to email@example.com
Application deadline: April 25th, 2017